Order Reaching the Next Level Today!

See Book Ad on Right Column Below


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I LOVE My Wife!

Today is my sweet wife's birthday! While I won't tell her age, I will definitely say how much I absolutely ADORE her!

You know, the book of Proverbs wraps-up with a description of the virtuous woman, and in the closing verses of this portrait of true beauty, it quotes the husband of the virtuous woman's opinion of her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all" (Proverbs 31:29, NIV).

Well, I can't find better words to capture my thoughts and feelings for my wife. Simply put: She surpasses them all!

There's no way for me to list all the ways I love my wife in one blog - I couldn't do it in one lifetime, but I do want to share just three of the ways...

1. I love her love for God and others.

I've said this many times before, and I'll say it many times again because it's just the truth: My wife is the clearest expression of God's grace in my life on a daily basis. Her love is unconditional, unlimited, and unbelieveable. As a pastor, many people see my life when I'm always trying to be strong for others, but my wife is the constant source of encouragement for me when I'm weak, struggling, and confused. Yet, her love never flinches.

I know that Wendy demonstrates this type of supernatural grace in and through her life because she's encountered, experienced, and embraced the grace of God herself. This is why she cares for others so much. It's because the Spirit of the God of All Grace has redeemed her with His incomprehensible love! And I thank the Lord Jesus that she shares with others what she has freely received from Him.

2. I love her wisdom.

As a pastor, many people come to me for counsel, and I try to give the very best Biblical counsel I can in every situation. But who does the pastor go to when he needs counsel? You guessed it: Wendy is a treasure of godly wisdom! Of course, she always offers wise counsel because she is a "woman of the Word". She doesn't lean on her own understanding, but she acknowledges God in all of her ways.

In fact, just last night after Wendy and I had a conversation about a certain decision we're seeking the Lord's will on, she offered the most perfect Biblically balanced solution. And my thoughts later as I reflected on this were: "What am I going to do if I ever lose my wife? Who am I going to talk to? Who is going to share God's wisdom with me as I struggle through the trenches of life?"

I can't recall all the times I struggle on a weekly basis and just a word of wise counsel from my wife soothes my troubled mind and heart. Her conscience is so rock-solid in her Biblical convictions that I always aspire to be as strong as she is.

3. I love her devotion to our family.

I've never met a person who has ever sacrificed more for her family than my wife. I can do all the things I do because my wife has always supported and sacrificed for me.

During our college days, Wendy worked. She took some classes here and there, but her focus was to do whatever she could so that I could follow God's call. For much of my Seminary studies when we had to cover the expenses, Wendy never blinked at how much tuition and books cost us. She simply managed things (both time and money) with unbelieveable wisdom and frugality so that I could do what I sensed the Lord leading us to do.

Of course, these couple of comments don't even come close to all the sacrifices she makes because of our service in local Church ministry. No one will ever know the hours she recently worked through the days and late into the nights to get our home ready for Open House. And she does all of this with joy in her heart because she loves God and others.

Then I could mention the fact that she's always stayed home to be with our sons. We've simply counted the costs on this one, and we've never regretted it. I know my wife - she's bright, unbelieveable in talents and skills, beautiful, etc. I know that she could succeed with excellence in anything she set her heart on. Yet, she has always used everything God has given her to make sure our boys were cared for and received the very best opportunities to become all God wants them to be in life. For example, even through the difficulties of homeschooling two boys, she's always done what needed to be done in order to offer them the very best foundation for their faith.

Wendy and I joke sometimes that if anything ever happened to her - I would starve because I'm absolutely helpless and hopeless in the kitchen! And once again she's right!

But the truth of the matter is that I would die because I couldn't live without HER. I don't know what I would ever do without her.

So I just want to say again: "Thank you Lord Jesus, for my sweet wife. She's clearly a demonstration of Your amazing grace, and may I love her as You loved the Church. She truly deserves nothing less."

"Many women do noble things, but Wendy, you do, indeed, surpass them all!"

I love you, Bae, with all my heart!

Happy Birthday
October 27, 2010

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Pete for your candid praise of your wife. It is inspiring to me as a young person to catch a glimpse of a vibrant and growing marriage. Coming from divorced parents, it is an encouragement to know that such tragedy is not just an inevitable part of life. I also thank you for sharing some of the practical aspects of your wife's character. As a young single, it's obviously insightful to know what are some of the key things to look for in a young woman. May God bless your wife and your marriage... may they continue to grow and flourish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jeremiah,

    Thanks so much for taking the time to read the blog and post a comment. Your insightful reflections reveal a depth of maturity. I've been told that a wise man learns from his mistakes, but the wisest man learns from the mistakes of others! It seems that your desire to glean what you can from others proves that you're of the "wisest" of men. As Bro. Tim used to say often, "Keep learning and growing!"

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

avandia