Order Reaching the Next Level Today!

See Book Ad on Right Column Below


Friday, April 16, 2010

Ohhh, So That's Why!

I've had many "Ohhh, so that's why" moments reading through God's Word, but I'll never forget a recent one from the Old Testament.

I remember trudging through the first chapter of Numbers. Now let me just say from the outset that I believe every word in the Bible is God-breathed (see 2 Timothy 3:16) and is written to teach and to encourage (see Romans 15:4). So I know that all the details of Numbers 1:1-46 are given for a reason. I mean, I figured God had a purpose for teaching me there were 46,500 Reubenites, 59,300 Simeonites, 45,650 Gadites, etc.

"But why?" I honestly wondered. "What's the point that I know Israel had 603,550 young men twenty years old or more on their wilderness trek to the Promised Land?" I pressed.

As you might guess from the tone of my thoughts, I wasn't sure about the answers to my questions. But everything became clear when I read Numbers 13-14. It was there I had my "Ohhh, so that's why" moment.

You see, as I moved through Numbers 13-14 and how Moses dispatched scouts into the land of Canaan, I found myself "getting-into" the story. Then, when the spies relayed their findings to the rest of the nation and tension developed between most of the scouts who were fearful and the minority who were faithful, my heart started to race. I like a good story - conflicts, climax, choices, and consequences!

And this is precisely where things came together for me. As I read the record of Israel's fatal decision to react in fear instead of respond in faith at the report of the spies, a chill ran down my spine in light of God's sober judgment: "In this desert your bodies will fall - everyone of you twenty years old or more who was counted in the census and who has grumbled against me" (Numbers 14:29, NIV).

These words leapt off the page! Like a pair of literary hands cupping around my face in order to steady my gaze, the words "twenty years old or more" echoed in my heart. I frantically flipped the pages of my Bible back to Numbers 1:1-46. I knew I had read those words before. They sounded eerily familiar. And as my eyes slowly scanned the first chapter of Numbers again, there they were in verses 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, and 45!

But this time I read them drastically different. This time I "saw" more than words; another image flashed in my mind's eye. I saw the scene of a horizon dotted with thousands upon thousands of tombstones. And as this new picture crystallized in my thoughts, I pondered to myself, "Ohhh, so that's why."

I then realized that when I first read Numbers 1:1-46, I simply rattled these verses off like statistics in a demographic report. But when I reread them in light of God's judgment, I understood this was a roll call of the dead! These are not faceless "stats" but people, sons, husbands, fathers, and families. Every person in this unbelieving generation except Joshua and Caleb perished in the wilderness (see Numbers 14:30).

And again, this is when it hit me. Every word of the Bible is living, active, and sharp (see Hebrews 4:12). Yes, the Scriptures provide many "Ohhh, so that's why" moments because God reveals Himself through His Word so that I can embrace Him for who He is and for His "teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16, NIV).

The Bible is God's self-portrait! It's not painted on a canvas with brushes and colors. It's etched in words I can read. It's wrapped in the stories of history, in the prayers of the Psalms, in the wisdom of Proverbs, and in the confrontation and consolation of the prophets. God reveals Himself in the incarnation - He is Immanuel, God with us (see Matthew 1:23), in the teachings of the apostles, and in the vision of the future. In all of Scripture, from Genesis to Revelation, God reveals Himself. And when I stand on the threshold of forever with the light of eternity bursting back upon the stage of human history, I will exclaim again one more final time, "Ohhh, so that's why" (see 1 Corinthians 13:11-12)!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry that I posted under your name. Ooops!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Bro Pete! Or as Amy, says, "Brother Doctor Pete!". Okay - I'm being selfish here, but I sure hope God doesn't lead you to stop preaching and pastoring and start writing full time...at least not anytime soon, 'cause you write just like you preach, teach and live. With passion & excellence and giving honor and glory to God! And Wendy, don't think we don't know that he couldn't do it without your support and inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, you're so sweet, and as always, you're there to support and encourage me! Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and you know I couldn't do anything without you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail, thanks for your kind words and for your leadership in helping Woodland Park be a House of Prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete..glad you now have a blog and hope you will be glad to know this is the first time I have ever posted on a blog. What can I say...blog, blog, blog...lol.

    I did look up Colossions 1:28-29 and did a little research on it..Amplified: Him we preach and proclaim, warning and admonishing everyone and instructing everyone in all wisdom (comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God), that we may present every person mature (full-grown, fully initiated, complete, and perfect) in Christ (the Anointed One).(Amplified Bible - Lockman)
    Lightfoot: ‘This Christ we, the Apostles and Evangelists, proclaim without distinction and without reserve. We know no restriction either of persons or of topics. We admonish every man and instruct every man. We initiate every man in all the mysteries of wisdom. It is our single aim to present every man fully and perfectly taught in Christ.
    Moffatt: This is the Christ we proclaim; we train everyone and teach everyone the full scope of this knowledge, in order to set everyone before God mature in Christ
    NLT: So everywhere we go, we tell everyone about Christ. We warn them and teach them with all the wisdom God has given us, for we want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ. (NLT - Tyndale House)
    Phillips: So, naturally, we proclaim Christ! We warn everyone we meet, and we teach everyone we can, all that we know about him, so that, if possible, we may bring every man up to his full maturity in Christ. (Phillips: Touchstone)
    Wuest: Whom we are constantly announcing, admonishing every man and instructing every man in every wisdom in that we may present every man fully mature in Christ Jesus. (Eerdmans)

    Sooo, This would mean that to those who believe are all teachers/instructors by way of example and share christ with all whom we encounter.

    Thanks to you Brother Pete and Sister Wendy for your leadership and guidance. Alan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Alan,

    Thanks for you comments and your research! Wow! I think you "hit-the-nail-on-the-head" in your bottom-line statement, my Friend. We're all partners in the Gospel and seeking to make disciples of all nations by the power of His Spirit who works within us! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete

avandia