Order Reaching the Next Level Today!

See Book Ad on Right Column Below


Saturday, November 27, 2010

Helpless Without God

I don't know about you, but I love to see God's truth expressed in the "hands-on" aspects of life. I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoy abstract theological discussions as much as anyone, but I beleive God's Word was given for us primarily to demonstrate as opposed to debate.

I was reminded of this again this morning in my reading from a few verses in Psalm 44. For example, verse 1 says, "God, we have heard with our ears - our forefathers have told us - the work YOU accomplished in their days..." (HCSB, emphasis added). Also, verse 2 explains, "[T]o plant them, YOU drove out the nations with YOUR hand; to settle them, YOU crushed the peoples" (HCSB, emphasis added). Again, verse 3 reads, "For they did not take the land by their sword - their arm did not bring them victory - but by YOUR right hand, YOUR arm, and the light of YOUR face, for YOU were pleased with them" (HCSB, emphasis added).

Are you getting the picture? I think it's pretty obvious, but let's keep going for just a little bit longer...

Verse 4 plainly teaches, "YOU are my King, my God, who ORDAINS victories for Jacob" (HCSB, emphasis added). And now check-out the clarity of verse 5: "Through YOU we drive back our foes; through YOUR name we trample our enemies" (HCSB, emphasis added). Lastly, just in case we missed it, the Psalmist wraps-up verses 6-8 with the obvious point that God alone is our hope: "For I do not trust in my bow, and my sword does not bring me victory. But [note the contrasting conjunction here] YOU give us victory over our foes and let those who hate us be disgraced. We boast in GOD all day long; we will praise YOUR name forever" (HCSB, emphasis added).

So the point here is pretty plain, right? God alone is our Hope, Strength, Victory, Shield, Fortress, Power, Wisdom, Righteousness, Sanctification, Shepherd, Shelter, Strong Tower, etc. In a word, God is our EVERYTHING! Jesus says that without Him we can do NOTHING (see John 15:5). I once heard a guy explain that "nothing" is a zero with the rim knocked off of it. Now that's nothing!

If you want to catch just one little historical glimpse of what this looked like in Israel's conquest, for instance, read Joshua 10:1-14. In these fourteen verses, we find a reference to Jericho in verse 1. By the way, who demolished the walls of Jericho as Israel shouted? God did. The Israelites didn't build a seige ramp nor use a battering ram to break through the walls. Also, notice what verse 11 says: God sent hailstones on the fleeing enemy, and more of the opposition was killed by the hailstones than the swords of Israel! Isn't this an obvious reference to the fact that God was fighting this battle? Lastly, after we read how God held the sun still for a while, the end of verse 14 simply reads, "Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel" (NIV)!

So let me close this blog with a simple but probably obivous question at this point: Who or what are you really trusting in today?

I read a statement a long time ago in The Complete Green Letters that I never forgot. I'm not sure I'm quoting it verbatim, but this is very close if it isn't exact: "To be disappointed with yourself is to have believed in yourself."

WOW! Everytime I read or remember this quote, I'm convicted of how much I do rely on myself - my strength, my wisdom, my training, my personality, my resources, my, my, my!

God, help me grow and consistently live according to the truth of Your Word: Galatians 2:20, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (NIV).

May we live this day and everyday completely, consistently, and joyfully dependent on the Lord for His glory alone!

Blessings...

5 comments:

  1. I find it hard to 'as I grow' to understand what the Lord has planned for me. I know in time that I may understand but for now I am content with the trying to "Understand" what the Lord wants me to do. I promise--------

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bro. Hank,

    It's great to hear from you on the blog! Thanks for taking the time to post a comment, and I want to encourage you to keep on seeking for "understanding" as the Lord leads you according to the truth of His Word. My prayer for you is Philippians 1:9-11. I believe the Lord will reveal Himself to those who seek Him (see Jeremiah 29:11-13). Blessings to you and yours in Christ.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Word, Brother!

    I'm sure you don't remember us, but my wife (Kim) and I, along with my mom, dad, etc. all still talk about you to this day. You preached a Revival at Calvary Baptist Church in Monroe, LA when you were still a teenager. I can't remember if it was during Benny Thompson's or Dr. Bill Robertson's pastorate.

    We were newlyweds, in our early 20's. We saw back then in the late 80's, or early 90's, can't remember exactly,that the Anointing of the Holy Spirit was upon you and your preaching in a mighty way!

    I'm so glad and encouraged to see you are still "preaching the Word", and serving Christ through His Church. I've looked for your name on the internet a few times over the years, might have been spelling it wrong, and just came across this blog today. You have a beautiful family!

    I may try to see if I can download some of your sermons sometime, would love to hear you proclaim His Word again!

    Your brother in Christ,
    Don Dozier
    Monroe, LA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Bro. Don!

    What a great blessing to hear from you! I do remember my time at Calvary Baptist - it was during Bro. Benny's tenure as pastor.

    Thanks so much for the encouraging words and for taking the time to post a comment on the blog. If you are interested in messages online, you can access those at our Church's website: www.woodlandparkbaptist.org.

    Thanks again for the establishing contact and blessings to you and your family (Numbers 6:24-26)!

    Pete
    Colossians 1:28-29

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dr. Pete" I truly felt helpless a few weeks ago when my 3 year old was hospitalized. And although we were surrounded by some of this country's best pediatric doctors, there was nothing better than being surrounded by the love of God.

    ReplyDelete

avandia